Safe Families for Children is committed to supporting parents and bringing love and healing into families that are often isolated and alone. By becoming a Family Friend, your mentoring relationship becomes the cornerstone of healthy living and healing as your family supports and strengthens another family so that they may thrive. The theology regarding God’s promise that he puts the lonely in a family is manifested in this primary relationship between your two families.
Responsibilities of a Family Friend may include, but are not limited to:
– Providing friendship
– Listening when a parent wants to talk
– Providing encouragement when a parent needs a little extra support
– Sharing helpful information about parenting and life in general
– Connecting needy parents to a vast resource network of services and items available
– Supporting parents with children placed with Host Families
– Advocating with for families seeking the proper academic setting, mental and physical health opportunities and other resources for their children.
Family Friends are trained volunteers that are supported by a network of resources that includes: community development organizations, schools, clinics, counseling and churches.