1. Interest Form: Contact our office at 925.566.8050 and receive the interest form to begin the process of becoming a Safe Family.
2. Home Visit: As soon as we receive your completed application, we will contact you to set up a time for a home visit. This visit gives us an opportunity to get acquainted and also allow our staff to visually confirm that your home is a safe place.
3. Training: Training provides opportunities for personal growth that can help make your experience with Safe Families more rewarding both for you, your family and for children who may come into your home. Safe Families training is available online and takes about four hours to complete (volunteers without internet access can request a DVD version).
4. Background Check/Fingerprinting: This varies from state-to-state. After submitting your application, someone from your local Safe Families office will contact you regarding background checks and fingerprinting instructions.
5. Letters of Recommendation: It is our policy to recruit Safe Families volunteers whose lives reflect stable personal values and morals. Thus, volunteers need to provide three letters of reference from people who can attest to this aspect of their lives.